A groom-to-be sexually assaulted a bridesmaid, police say. The wedding still happened 2 days later.
- Daniel J. Carney of Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania, was charged with sexually assaulting a woman who was going to be a bridesmaid at his wedding, according to a criminal complaint seen by The Washington Post.
- The alleged incident happened on August 30, two days before Carney married his wife. The wedding party had spent the day drinking and rafting on the Delaware River.
- When the group returned to Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort, Carney pulled a bridesmaid into a hotel locker room and sexually assaulted her, police say. The woman reported the assault three days later.
- Prosecutors have charged Carney with simple assault, indecent assault, and involuntary deviate sexual intercourse of an unconscious person. An arraignment has not yet been scheduled.
- For more stories go to www.businessinsider.co.za.
A 28-year-old groom-to-be sexually assaulted a bridesmaid in a hotel locker room days before marrying his wife, according to police.
In a criminal complaint seen by the Washington Post, police say Daniel J. Carney, of Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania, sexually assaulted the 29-year-old bridesmaid when she was black-out drunk on August 30.
The alleged incident happened after the wedding party spent the day drinking and rafting on the Delaware River ahead of Carney's September 1 wedding.
A state trooper who reviewed security footage at the Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort said that when the group returned, the woman was too drunk to stay upright as she walked down the hotel's hallway.
Police say that as Carney led her down the hallway, he pulled her into a men's locker room, forcibly grabbed her, bit her, and removed her bikini bottoms. The woman told police that she woke up briefly to Carney biting her, then passed out again. She then woke up again to find that her bikini bottoms had been taken off and Carney was on top of her, police said.
Twenty minutes later, police say, Carney's fiancée came into the locker room and started shouting at him. Court records seen by the Post say the bride followed Carney outside and the two got into a physical fight.
Carney called the bridesmaid and apologised the next day, claiming he didn't know what happened, according to the police report the Post reviewed. On the morning of the wedding, he asked her to be "just be as happy as possible," for the bride, police said, adding that he also asked her to take emergency day-after contraception.
Despite the incident, Carney and his wife got married on September 1.
The following day, the bridesmaid went to the hospital and reported that she had been sexually assaulted, prompting a police investigation, according to The Morning Call.
In a phone call between the bridesmaid and Carney that police listened in on with approval from the district attorney's office, Carney admitted to sexually assaulting her and apologised, the local newspaper reported.
Prosecutors have charged Carney with simple assault, indecent assault, and involuntary deviate sexual intercourse of an unconscious person. An arraignment has not yet been scheduled, and Carney's case is awaiting a preliminary hearing.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- An Iranian Instagram star famous for undergoing 50 cosmetic surgeries to look like Angelina Jolie was arrested for corrupting youth and inciting violence on social media
- Satellite images show how South Africa’s biggest malls – in Fourways, Menlyn, Midrand, Sandton, and Durban – have transformed
- Cars with high-tech emergency brakes still hit child-size dummies in 89% of street-crossing tests, a new study has found
- Here’s the best way to feed yourself on or before flights in South Africa during an Air Chefs strike
- A bride had her late father's ashes made into acrylic nails so he was 'holding her hand' on her wedding day
- SA’s biggest taxi association plans to standardise one type of tyre – here’s why