Retail, e-commerce rules may be relaxed soon, Ramaphosa says – but details still to come
- Less strict rules for retailers and e-commerce under Alert Level 4 are coming up soon, President Cyril Ramaphosa said on Wednesday.
- But he provided no further detail in his address to the nation.
- Exercise restrictions too are due to be reduced.
- Much of the country will likely move to Level 3 at the end of May, Ramaphosa said.
- For more stories go to www.BusinessInsider.co.za.
Restrictions on retail and e-commerce during Alert Level 4 will be reduced by new rules soon, President Cyril Ramaphosa said on Wednesday night – but he provided no further detail.
Ramaphosa spent much of his address to the nation calling on South Africans to adhere to measures such as hand washing and wearing face masks, justifying South Africa's initial hard lockdown, and promising consultation and transparency.
By contrast he used only a handful of sentences to speak about new measures and regulations.
This, he said, will include lesser restrictions on exercise, and a likely move to Alert Level 3 for much of the country, except for the local areas where the rate of infection is high, at the end of May.
But before that, new rules will be published under the present Level 4, "to expand permitted business activities in a number of sectors", he said.
He mentioned only retail and e-commerce.
See also: Here is the entire list of clothing and bedding you can now buy again under new Level 4 rules
Ramaphosa also provided a mea culpa on lockdown measures, admitting some had been unclear, and contradictory.
Some of government's interventions had "evoked a lot of anger and opposition in all of you, in many of you, rather," he said.
"Where we have made mistakes, and as I said, we are traversing uncharted territory... we will make mistakes, but I can assure you we will always seek to correct those mistakes," he said.
(Compiled by Phillip de Wet)
Receive a daily update on your cellphone with all our latest news: click here.
Get the best of our site emailed to you daily: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- Covid-19: All the financial help and information you need
- Here is the entire list of clothing and bedding you can now buy again under new Level 4 rules
- Car sales are now legal again under new Level 4 rules, and servicing too – but nothing cosmetic
- 5.5 years to pay: How SA’s just-opened R200bn Covid-19 loan scheme works
- There’s a workaround to apply for the R350 Sassa Covid-19 grant, via the web – here’s how
- Here are our favourite masks for running and cycling - and some we would avoid