Cristiano Ronaldo is the reported buyer of the most expensive car on the planet
- Cristiano Ronaldo is reportedly the secret buyer of a R180 million one-of-a-kind Bugatti.
- The purchase has not been confirmed by Bugatti, but if Ronaldo is the buyer, the 418km/h car will join a fleet of luxurious motors in the soccer player's incredible garage.
- As one of the richest athletes on the planet, Ronaldo is able to fund his shopping sprees because of a $35 million (R500 million) contract at Juventus, that he supplements with endorsement deals.
- You can see the Bugatti, named "La Voiture Noire" or "The Black Car," below.
- Visit Business Insider's home page for more stories.
Cristiano Ronaldo has reportedly bought a one-of-a-kind Bugatti worth R180 million just months after splashing out on an ultra-rare Rolls Royce.
As a big-game player on a $35 million (R500 million) per year contract, Ronaldo clearly has money to spend - and reports in Italy's Sky Sport, Spain's MARCA, and the Daily Mail suggest the 34-year-old has bought the "most expensive" car on the planet.
The motor was unveiled at the Geneva Motor Show 2019 earlier in the year.
It has an 8.0 liter turbocharged W16 engine capable of taking its driver to speeds as high as 260 mph.
Only one model has been built, and it was inspired by the four iconic Type 57 SC Atlantic models that Bugatti made between 1936 and 1938.
The new model, "La Voiture Noire," which means "The Black Car," has been built to commemorate the 110th anniversary of the luxury car firm.
It comes with a price tag of €11 million, according to MARCA, or R180 million, reportedly making it the most expensive car sold.
Here's a look at the car:
MARCA reports that Bugatti has not confirmed the buyer, and the driver will not be able to actually get their hands on it until 2021, when the final touches will be complete.
But if it did end up in Ronaldo's garage, it will sit alongside some of the flashiest, fastest, and rarest cars in the world.
Ronaldo bought a bright white Rolls Royce Cullinan reportedly worth R5,1 million earlier this year, an SUV that was added to a collection that included a Bentley, a Porsche, and a Ferrari.
As this Business Insider list shows, it is not just cars he likes to buy, as Ronaldo also spends his money on expensive suits, $20,200 Tag Heuer watches, and incredible properties around the world.
He made his fortune because of his exemplary soccer skills and is able to fund his shopping sprees because he was named the third best-paid athlete on the planet in 2018 according to Forbes.
It was estimated that Ronaldo banked $61 million from his playing career in 2018, and earned a further $47 million through endorsements from blue-chip companies like Tag Heuer, Herbalife, and Nike.
He remains critical to Juventus' success on and off the field, and played in helping the team win the Supercoppa Italiana earlier this year, together with the 2018-2019 Serie A championship.
Juventus is next in action against local rival Torino on Friday and, as Ronaldo won't be able to drive that new Bugatti for another two years, he'll simply have to turn up at the game in that Rolls Royce of his.
Receive a single WhatsApp every morning with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- We visited a brand new flagship Builders store – with 3D printers and a whole department just to cut stuff you need cut
- Facebook now wants you to start dating your existing friends
- Last week, potato prices jumped by 43% in 48 hours – here's why
- Cape Town home owners: Here's the sweet spot for property rates
- Uber is delivering flu vaccines on Thursday – and you can get one for just R20