- The world's oldest man, who turns 112 on Sunday, has been forced to cancel his birthday celebrations because of coronavirus.
- Bob Weighton, from Hampshire in the UK, was due to celebrate with family and friends, but with the UK locked down he will spend his birthday alone.
- "Everything is cancelled, no visitors, no celebration," he told Sky News. "It's a dead loss as far as celebration is concerned."
- Weighton lived through the last truly global pandemic, the 1918 Spanish Flu outbreak, but says he does not remember it.
- For more stories go to www.BusinessInsider.co.za.
The world's oldest man, who turns 112 on Sunday, has been forced to cancel his birthday celebrations because of the deadly coronavirus pandemic sweeping across the globe.
Bob Weighton, from Hampshire in the UK, has only been the world's oldest man since February - when the previous record holder, Chitetsu Watanabe from Japan, died.
Weighton had been looking forward to celebrating with friends and family, as he celebrated his 111th birthday last year, Sky News reported.
But with the UK locked down to inhibit the spread of COVID-19, and the elderly told not to leave their homes, Weighton will be on his own for his birthday.
"Everything is cancelled, no visitors, no celebration," he told Sky News. "It's a dead loss as far as celebration is concerned."
Weighton, who was born in 1908, lived through the last truly global pandemic - the 1918 Spanish Flu outbreak - but says he does not remember it as no where he lived there were no newspapers.
He told Sky News that the "world is in a bit of a mess" right now, and that he doesn't really know what to do to help fight the virus.
"In the Second World War you knew what you had to do, you might fail but the objectives were clear as Churchill rallied the country behind him, 'We will fight on the beaches', etc etc," he told Sky. "We knew exactly what we had to do."
"That was an objective that you could possibly reach, but nobody knows how we are going to defeat the virus."
Receive a daily update on your cellphone with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- An undersea internet cable critical to SA’s global connections just broke again
- Every SA website must promote the govt portal on Covid-19, and cell number transfers banned
- Signs you might have the coronavirus if you have very few symptoms
- France turned one of its high-speed trains into an ambulance to transport coronavirus patients across the country
- Here's how much Patrice Motsepe will be worth after donating R1 billion