Another baby has tested positive for the coronavirus in the UK, becoming the 3rd in the country alone
- A baby in the county Norfolk, England, tested positive for the coronavirus on Tuesday.
- This is the UK's third coronavirus case found in a baby. Two babies in Manchester and London had also been diagnosed with the virus in recent days.
- The baby's age is not known, and the hospital is not disclosing further details.
- Scientists are still researching the impact of the coronavirus on children and are asking why it appears to infect relatively few youngsters.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Another baby in England was diagnosed with the coronavirus on Tuesday, becoming the third such infection in the UK alone.
The baby was one of three people to test positive at James Paget University Hospital in Gorleston, a seaside town in Norfolk county, the hospital confirmed to Business Insider. The regional Eastern Daily Press first reported the news.
The age and condition of the baby in Norfolk are not immediately known. James Paget University Hospital told Business Insider that the two other patients are adults, but declined to give further details.
All three patients have been put in isolation, and the hospital is now conducting "contact tracing" to see if anyone might have had face-to-face contact with them, according to a Tuesday statement from the hospital.
On Monday, a nine-month-old baby in Manchester, England - named Cassian Coates - as also diagnosed with the disease after suffering a cold and a fever for several days, Sky News reported. The family is now self-isolating, and the baby is recovering, Sky News said.
The London baby's mother had been unaware that she had the virus and was thought to have pneumonia, according to The Sun.
The coronavirus, which has spread to 155 countries, have largely affected the elderly and those with preexisting conditions.
Experts are still trying to figure out why the disease seems to impact youngsters less, and studies of the disease's spread in China suggest that only a handful of babies have been infected there.
- Read more:
- Only a handful of children have been diagnosed with the coronavirus - and experts have a few guesses as to why
- A newborn baby in London has become the youngest person in the world to test positive for the coronavirus
- Here's what we know about how the virus is spreading across Britain.
- Here's everything we know about the coronavirus outbreak globally
For more information direct from the source, see also:
- the National Institute for Communicable Disease (NICD)
- the latest statements issued by the national government
- the Twitter stream of health minister Dr Zweli Mkhize
- the World Health Organisation's Covic-19 outbreak page
the NICD hotline for Covid-19 is: 0800-029-999.
Receive a daily update on your cellphone with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- Pick n Pay now offers 'elderly only' hour to shoppers older than 65 due to coronavirus
- Please buy responsibly, we have stock, say Pick n Pay, Checkers, Clicks amid Covid-19 rush
- Two young entrepreneurs are building affordable smart alarms to make townships safer
- If Sasol can't raise its own money it may need state pension cash – if Gauteng wants petrol
- Uber Eats introduces a ‘leave at door’ option in SA, in light of the novel coronavirus
- Clicks restricts medicines to only 6 per person - here are all the other curbs at SA shops