SA’s lockdown grocery delivery list includes lemons and cucumbers – here’s what else
- South African delivery app, Zulzi, says it had a “huge spike in volume” during lockdown
- The company has just raised R30 million in funding
- Top products include brown bread, cucumbers, milk, baked beans - and lemons
- For more stories, go to Business Insider SA.
South African delivery app, Zulzi, says it has had a “huge spike in volume” during lockdown as more and more people turn to online groceries for their shopping.
In March, the company suddenly saw a surge in volumes of more than R1 million a day, and the trend has held steady as South Africans remain mostly homebound.
According to Zulzi founder Vutlharhi Donald Valoyi, its top products during the lockdown include brown bread, cucumbers, milk, baked beans and lemons.
You can order fresh groceries or medicine from Woolworths, Pick n Pay, Dis-chem and Clicks for only R45 and receive it in an hour or less through the Zulzi platform.
Launched in 2016, Zulzi deliveries groceries to consumers in suburbs of Johannesburg, Pretoria, Durban and Cape Town. A JSE-listed entity recently invested R30 million in the company.
Valoyi told Business Insider that the company has been growing at over 300% a year. The platform now processes over 2,000 orders a day.
The company now wants to try out a new option called Zulzi Deals, in an attempt to broaden its appeal by trying to bring down costs for consumers.
“The idea is similar to digital coupons,” says Valoyi. “Except that, instead of being applied to a customer’s account – like via their store loyalty card, for example – they’re applied immediately to the groceries the customer is ordering from their computer or phone.
"We are developing the Zulzi deals in conjunction with several Fast Moving Consumer Goods Companies and will expand it in time.
“2020 has been a really big year for us,” he says. “The opportunity ahead of us is enormous. South Africa is a ZAR 1 trillion grocery market and less than 1 percent of that is bought online.”
Top ten groceries bought on Zulzi
- Brown Bread 700g
- English Cucumber
- Fresh Full Cream Milk 2l
- Koo Baked Beans
- Spring Water
Receive a daily update on your cellphone with all our latest news: click here.
Get the best of our site emailed to you daily: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- Covid-19: All the financial help and information you need
- SA insurers are keen to scrap pandemic coverage, not so keen to pay for Covid-19 interruption
- A single Nguni bull just sold for a world record R310,000 – over WhatsApp
- Workers can now claim Covid-19 cash directly from the UIF - no need to wait for employers
- Floating wind farms explored for South Africa seas - where wind speeds are faster
- Treating Covid-19 in SA is costing around R150,000 per person – before indirect expenses