Why the coolest concept car right now is a Kia
Reported by Benjamin Zhang
In recent years, the New York auto show, which ends this week, has become more and more focused on everyday production models. That means fanciful concept cars are now a rare commodity at the show.
A few brands didn't get the memo. One of which was Kia.
The Korean automaker debuted the striking HabaNiro concept at the 2019 New York International Auto Show.
The all-electric crossover SUV is easily the coolest concept car at the show.
"The HabaNiro is a genius work of skill and imagination," Kia Motors America COO Michael Cole said in a statement. "Not only does its beautiful design incorporate the needs of future mobility, but its engineering and technology anticipate the way people will want to move in the near future."
The interior of the HabaNiro features a large full-width windshield heads-up display, bouclé fabric-trimmed front seats, and ventilation system that blows a "curtain of air throughout the cabin."
The concept is also equipped with Kia's R.E.A.D. system that uses artificial intelligence-based bio-signal recognition tech to customize the interior space by sensing the driver's emotional state.
The HabaNiro is powered by a pair of electric motors and is expected to have a range of more than 300 miles as well as part-time level-five autonomous driving capabilities.
Unlike the near-production-ready concepts that dot the auto show floor, the HabaNiro will never reach dealership lots. However, elements from the concept's design or technology suite will serve as guidance for future production Kias.
Receive a single WhatsApp every morning with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- Thousands of South African men are attending men-only 'initiation' retreats in a bid better themselves
- A US company now has R400 million to teach Americans that biltong is much better than jerky - and they're even selling 'biltong trail mix'
- A South African recorded Saturn 'touching' the moon with his phone, and the stunning pictures are going viral across the world
- Amcu ‘is not a genuine trade union’ – here’s what happens now
- Plastic bags have now been banned at these Woolworths stores in Gauteng and KZN
- The labour department wants to cancel strike-happy Amcu’s registration – because it isn't a 'genuine trade union'
- Saudi Arabia crucifies a prisoner and executes 36 others in largest mass killing in over 3 years