Microsoft wants you to choose the new default font to replace Calibri in Word docs
- Microsoft's Design Team is asking typographophiles to vote for a new default font for Office 365.
- The team commissioned designers to make 5 new choices: Tenorite, Bierstadt, Skeena, Seaford, and Grandview.
- The classic Times New Roman is not an option, and hasn't been the default since 2007.
- See more stories on Business Insider SA's home page.
Move over, Calibri, there's a new font in town - though which one will be the choice of voters.
On Wednesday, Microsoft's Design Team put out a call asking for typographophiles to choose the new default font for the Office 365 software suite, which includes mainstay workplace apps like Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
"A default font is often the first impression we make; it's the visual identity we present to other people via our resumes, documents, or emails. And just as people and the world around us age and grow, so too should our modes of expression," the team said in its announcement.
Calibri has been the brand's default font choice since 2007, when it replaced the classic Times New Roman. And no, Times New Roman is not one of the choices to vote on for the refresh.
The five new sans-serif choices are called Tenorite, Bierstadt, Skeena, Seaford, and Grandview, and the designers of each offered their best argument for why typographophiles should choose theirs.
All five are available now, to subscribers, through the Office 365 cloud, and social feedback is encouraged on the company's Twitter page.
The shortlisted new fonts "span the various sans-serif styles—humanist, geometric, swiss-style, and industrial" says Microsoft.
The candidates are described as:
- Tenorite "has the overall look of a traditional workhorse sans serif (a font without a serif, or a stroke at the ends, like Times New Roman), but with a warmer, more friendly style. "
- Bierstadt "is a precise, contemporary sans serif typeface inspired by mid-20th-century Swiss typography. A versatile typeface that expresses simplicity and rationality in a highly readable form, Bierstadt is also notably clear-cut with stroke endings that emphasize order and restraint."
- Skeena "is a 'humanist' sans serif based on the shapes of traditional serif text typefaces. Its strokes are modulated, with a noticeable contrast between thick and thin and a distinctive slice applied to the ends of many of the strokes."
- Seaford "is a sans serif typeface that is rooted in the design of old-style serif text typefaces and evokes their comfortable familiarity."
- Grandview "is a sans serif typeface derived from classic German road and railway signage, which was designed to be legible at a distance and under poor conditions."
(Additional reporting by Business Insider South Africa)
Receive a daily news update on your cellphone. Or get the best of our site emailed to you
Go to the Business Insider front page for more stories.