Chicken Licken has a ‘secret menu’ – but the only thing cool about it is the black box it comes in
- Chicken Licken has had a "secret menu" for years.
- It isn't on the menu board in stores, but if you know where to look it is easy to find what is on offer.
- All meals from the secret menu come in a pretty cool black box – but that's about the only cool thing about it.
- Visit Business Insider South Africa's homepage for more stories.
Chicken Licken has a "secret menu".
Not all that secret, though. It has been around for half a decade. It has its own entry on the Chicken Licken website, complete with photos.
And if you spend enough time on Twitter, you have probably heard about it.
The only secret part is that it does not appear on menu boards in restaurants. Still, that means there are people discovering and rediscovering it all the time, so we gave the current version of Chicken Licken's secret menu a try.
This is why we were not impressed.
It has limited options, and it isn't fast.
Chicken Licken is famous for its wings, and good for serious meals. The secret menu has no wings – or chicken pieces – just snacks.
Not quick snacks, though; because secret-menu items are specially made, we found they take longer than the regular menu.
It's available on Uber Eats, and for the asking.
For a secret menu, we were surprised to see that it is available as an option on Uber Eats, which has been delivering Chicken Licken since June.
Still, we had a report of a cashier being coy and secretive about what is on the secret menu, which promised at least a touch of cloak-and-dagger fun in ordering in-store. Sadly, when we tried to ask, a friendly cashier told us everything we needed to know about the secret menu.
What we ordered looked pretty cool, at least, thanks to the special black box.
We tried the ChicWich, which goes for R32.90, or slightly more via Uber Eats, even before the delivery fee.
The meal comes in an impressive, specially-made black box. That makes for a bit of excitement, at least, though that is where the fun ends.
The food itself: meh.
We expected more from a "secret menu" than an uninspired sandwich. Chicken Licken has better offers, right there on the menu board.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- A South African company is turning discarded plastic bottles found on beaches into boardshorts – and they’re really comfy
- These are the cities and sectors in South Africa with the most jobs
- There's a second whistleblower complaint no one's talking about, and it could be as damaging to the US president as the Ukraine scandal
- A runaway zebra in Germany was shot dead after it escaped from a circus and caused a crash on a highway
- A Burger King tweet was banned in the UK after regulators ruled that it encouraged people to throw milkshakes at politicians
- African migrants are trying to cross North America to make it to Canada. Trump is keeping them in Mexico.