Checkers Little Garden is back, and online too, but two years later you have to spend R50 more
- The Checkers Little Garden promotion, featuring free easy-to-germinate plant kits, returns on Monday, 24 August.
- In 2018 the promotion was wildly successful – though its timing was a little strange, and Checkers took some flak for manufacturing the pre-packaged seeds abroad.
- This time it's spring, and there's an uplifting story about local manufacturing behind the scenes.
- You'll have to spend R200 at a time, up from R150 two years ago, and you also have to be a member of the Xtra Savings programme to get the freebies.
- But you can bypass that by paying R35 for Sixty60 delivery, where that service is available.
- On offer is marog, cosmos, rocket, and 21 other flowers, vegetables, and herbs.
- For more stories go to www.BusinessInsider.co.za.
Checkers will be handing out easy-to-germinate seed kits again from Monday, 24 August, in the return of the Checkers Little Garden promotion it first launched – to considerable success – in 2018.
Checkers stores will be handing out one seedling kit per R200 spent for as long as stocks hold, if you shop with the Xtra Savings card introduced in 2019. That is up from R150 during the 2018 promotion.
But you can bypass both the minimum spend requirement and get Little Garden kits even if you don't register for Xtra Savings if you live in a major centre; every order via the Sixty60 delivery service will come with two seedling kits, Checkers told Business Insider South Africa.
See also from our archives | After driving parents nuts with its Little Shop miniatures, Checkers just launched a collectible line of real garden plants
Sixty60 comes at a cost of R35 and is available only within the delivery radius of some stores.
Kits include seed in a tape, a soil pod, and a pot in which to combine the two.
In 2018 Checkers faced some criticism for launching a gardening promotion in April, and for importing all its seed kits. (It could not find a local producer capable of providing 192 million seeds, it said at the time.)
Little Garden version two, by contrast, is launching in the week before spring, and comes complete with a short, hart-warming video on the local production facility set up a year ago to ensure 100% local manufacturing.
These are all the plants you can get in Checkers Little Garden Version 2.
- Red Clover
- African Daisy
- Korean Mint
- Pak Choi
- Swiss Chard
- Mixed Lettuce
(Compiled by Phillip de Wet)
Receive a daily update on your cellphone with all our latest news: click here.
Get the best of our site emailed to you daily: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa: