Take a look: Inside Checkers' brand new flagship store in Sandton, designed to take on Woolworths
- A new Checkers flagship store opened in Sandton City, in Johannesburg, on Wednesday.
- It is part of a major overhaul that owners Shoprite believe will allow it to compete with Woolworths.
- The new store has a temperature-controlled wine cellar, instore Kauai, and sushi on a conveyer belt.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
The Shoprite group opened its new flagship Checkers Hyper in Sandton City, Johannesburg, on Wednesday evening.
The new “FreshX concept” supermarket features a temperature-controlled wine cellar, coffee station, instore Kauai, and a coal-fired pizza oven.
Also read: More Checkers stores are being radically transformed – to include coffee stations and ‘wine cellars’
In total, over 60 Checkers stores will be renovated into “FreshX concept” stores.
At the opening of the store, Shoprite CEO Pieter Engelbrecht said the store represents “the best supermarket in Africa”.
He said where the Shoprite group wasn’t the best at something, it partnered with experts such as with Chocloza chocolatiers, Stellenbosch’ Schoon to provide artisanal bread, and baristas to provide the best coffee.
See also: This is how much prices increased at Game, Woolworths, Checkers, Spar, and Pick n Pay over the past year
The instore Kauai, Engelbrecht said, is the first in Africa.
The store is staffed by 290 employees.
Here is what the new Checkers Hyper in Sandton City looks like.
The store features a sushi station with a conveyer belt.
Shoprite said it tried to create a market atmosphere in the takeaways section, with several nooks and crannies for people to explore.
The coffee-station feature an in-store grinder.
The coffee station will also have freshly made pancakes, muffins, and gourmet sandwiches daily.
The wine section is designed to mimic a wine-cellar and is temperature controlled to ensure optimal conditions.
There is an in-store Kauai with a seating area.
In the market section, there is also a test kitchen where food demonstrations will be held.
In the rest of the supermarket, there’s a technology section with all the latest devices.
The large toys section feature all the latest popular games and toys.
There is also an entire aisle just for suitcases, and a second for power tools.
The Checkers store also has appliances aisle with microwaves, blenders, and coffee machines.
There is an in-store pharmacy, with a cosmetic section to rival Clicks.
The store, which took roughly nine months to constructs, opens to the public on Thursday morning.
See also: We visited a Checkers some say threatens Woolworths – and found R36/kg chicken sharing an aisle with R1,300/kg salmon
Receive a daily email with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- A massive, rare blue diamond has just been found outside Pretoria
- This is what braai essentials cost at Checkers, Pick n Pay, Spar and Shoprite - and you might be paying too much for Pepsi
- This is SA’s favourite restaurant in Cape Town, Durban and Joburg, according to OrderIn
- Almost 10% of drones in South Africa are destroyed on their first flight – and most crashes are due to simple pilot errors
- SA’s biggest medical aids are hiking rates by nearly 10% – these are now the cheapest entry-level options