It's cheaper to fly to New York City to buy an iPhone X than to buy one in South Africa
- The iPhone X 64GB retails for R18,999 in South Africa, while the 256GB variant is sold for R22,999.
- In the United Stated, the 64GB is sold for R11,587.87 ($999) and the 256GB variant is sold for R13,347.88 ($1,149.00).
- A return plane ticket to New York in June costs R8,568.
Flying to New York to buy the iPhone X 64GB will cost roughly the same as buying the same phone in South Africa. Traveling to buy the top end model, the iPhone X 256GB, would actually save you money.
As long as you don't stay overnight.
A quick search on Cheapflights.com reveals that a return flight to New York city from Johannesburg will cost you R8,568 when you fly in the month of June.
Add R11,587.87 for the iPhone X 64GB to the R8,568 for the flight ticket and you'll get R20,155.87 — just R1,156.87 more than buying the phone South Africa.
When you buy the 256GB iPhone X variant in the US you'd save R1,083.12 compared to buying it in South Africa.
That is just about enough to pay R1,861.60 ($160) for a US VISA.
Although, to break even you will have to come back on the next flight and not stay overnight; an average AirBnB apartment goes for R800 per night in Manhattan.
Update: this story was corrected for the saving on the 256GB variant phone, which was previously misstated – and updated to reflect that staying overnight in Manhattan would spoil this theoretical calculation.
Receive a single WhatsApp message every morning with all our latest news. Sign up here.
- He farms cabbages and sold life policies - 8 things you didn't know about Nhlanhla Nene
- The Maritzburg company that helps make Tesla cars, now brings wifi to millions of air travellers
- The R1 billion yacht belonging to one of Russia's most eligible bachelors has just docked in Cape Tow
- South African iPhone battery repairs skyrocketed after Apple admitted it was slowing down older models
- Samsung's new Galaxy S9 is the first phone with a 'dual aperture' — here's what it does
- Where to get the best paid jobs in government (and what to avoid)
- South Africans are probably eating Chinese honey that has been mixed with syrup, warns Wandile Sihlobo
- These are the best 5 wines under R80, according to SA's top young sommelier
- Millions of South Africans are turning to Norway to get their weather forecasts – here’s why
- This big CV mistake makes recruiters cringe and hiring managers dismiss you immediately
- South Africa's first black woman winemaker just launched her own brand — and the world can't get enough of it
- Turns out, Wakanda is a place near Bloemfontein. Black Panther’s South African footage was shot in the Free State