Did you know: Chappies is turning 70 – and we just learnt where its facts come from
- Chappies chewing gum is turning 70. It was created in Johannesburg by Chapelat Sweets Factory's head of marketing, Arthur Ginsburg, in the late 1940s.
- The company was in trouble, and had to find a way to compete on a bigger scale.
- So it started to target children with "Did You Know" facts – and it was a huge hit.
- The facts initially came from a Springbok Radio show, and later via Wits university.
- For more stories go to www.BusinessInsider.co.za.
Iconic bubblegum brand Chappie is turning 70 this year, and thanks to its anniversary we now know where its famous "Did You Know" facts come from.
Chappies was created in the late 1940s by Arthur Ginsburg. Ginsburg started working at the Chapelat Sweet Factory, in Troyeville, east of Johannesburg's CBD, in the mid-1930s after finishing high school, and became the company's cost accountant while completing his BCom degree at Wits University.
After losing a major customer – and with a dire need to compete at scale – Ginsburg came up with a bubblegum brand named after the nickname of the factory.Later, as head of marketing and sales, Ginsburg wanted to make the brand more appealing to children, and added the "Did You Know" facts printed on the inside of the wrapper of each piece of bubblegum to this day.
According to Chappies, the first set of facts were sourced from the "Three Wise Men" team on the quiz show "Test the Team", which aired on what is now the SABC's Springbok Radio between 1957 and 1980s.
The company later approached Ginsburg's alma mater, the University of the Witwatersrand, for lists of interesting facts. It is believed that between 5,000 and 6,000 facts were collected during this time.
According to Trushann Thomas, Mondelez South Africa category brand manager for gum, the latest additions for Did You Know facts came in 2012, through a national campaign asking people to submit their most fascinating facts.
"These were vetted for accuracy and 170 new facts were selected from over 50,000 entries."
Did You Know
Chappies initially came in five flavours: lemon, orange, strawberry, cherry, and pineapple. 70 years later the remaining flavours are spearmint, assorted fruit, watermelon, grape, and cool cherry.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- This is how much it will cost to take your home off the grid - and avoid load shedding forever
- A year later, Cyril Ramaphosa’s R100 billion infrastructure fund is still not operational – here’s what’s been happening
- ‘I endorse them all’: Ramaphosa supports Mboweni’s economic growth plan - including selling older power stations
- Want to be more eco-friendly when you travel on business? Book a cheaper hotel.
- Vandalism of South Africa's cellphone network nearly doubles during load shedding
- Load shedding will hit data prices, cellphone companies warned