WATCH | Buffalo crashes into vehicle as it tries to escape lions
- New footage released by Latest Sightings shows a buffalo crashing into a safari vehicle.
- The footage was captured from two different angles.
- The buffalo collided with the vehicle after being pursued by a pride of lions.
- For more stories, visit Business Insider South Africa.
Video of a buffalo crashing into a safari vehicle in the Pilanesberg National Reserve has been released by popular wildlife website Latest Sightings. Latest Sightings shares videos captured by visitors to SA's game reserves.
The footage was captured from two different angles by Jennifer Coleman and Liechen Tonkin, who were on separate vehicles when the big chase happened
They were trying to spot some buffalo during a game drive after an alert that the animals had been seen in the area earlier in the day.
"We saw two buffalo in the distance but stopped to look at a lioness and her three cubs. From another direction, we saw another lioness and then a lion running. In a matter of seconds, it all unfolded right next to the game vehicle. We saw the buffalo charging the lion, then the buffalo running and the lions in pursuit,” says Tonkin.
“We were routing for the buffalo but were shocked when the buffalo ran into the vehicle in front of us.”
The two lionesses who were with the cubs joined the chase, Coleman adds. “The buffalo was very disorientated from being spun around and ended up crashing into the game viewing vehicle with a loud thud. This gave the male lion a big fright and some time for the buffalo to get away and run off in the opposite direction.”
Watch the video here:
Receive a daily update on your cellphone with all our latest news: click here.
Get the best of our site emailed to you daily: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- Many SA govt employees are to get completely unlimited data on their phones from 1 April
- 11 of the coolest new structures in SA - including a massive 'bubble' building
- SA pork rib prices expected to jump 40% soon because of African swine fever – in Germany
- FlySafair ad banned for failing on mask safety – just as it yanks a flyer for the same thing
- SA Express airplanes to be auctioned – but most probably won’t fly ever again