Video shows the terrifying moment a British Airways flight filled with smoke as it prepared to land
- A flight from London to Valencia, Spain, made an emergency landing on Monday after the cabin filled with smoke.
- Passengers evacuated the plane on the runway using the emergency slides.
- It was not immediately clear whether anyone was injured, although several passengers tweeted that everyone was safe.
- For more stories, go to www.businessinsider.co.za.
Passengers on a British Airways flight faced a terrifying ordeal on Monday when their plane filled with smoke as the plane approached its destination.
The flight, BA 422 from London's Heathrow Airport to Valencia, Spain, was descending on approach to Valencia Airport when the cabin suddenly filled with smoke.
"I have never experienced fear like it," Dani Meroño Bori, a passenger on the flight, tweeted in Spanish. "We just jumped down the ramp!"
The flight appeared to stop on the runway after landing, and passengers evacuated the plane - an Airbus A321 - via emergency slides.
"[It] felt like a horror film," Lucy Brown, another passenger, tweeted. "[The] flight filled with smoke and had to be emergency evacuated."
Brown, an associate dean at the London College of Communication, was traveling with her four children.
"There was a horrible smell. People were almost choking," she told Mirror Online.
It was not immediately clear whether anyone was injured, although several passengers tweeted that everyone was okay.
In a statement to Business Insider, British Airways said that it was still collecting details.
"We are aware of an incident involving one of our aircraft in Valencia. We will release more information as soon as we have it."
This is a developing story. Check back for updates.
Receive a single WhatsApp every morning with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- A winning R23m lotto ticket was bought at a Gauteng petrol station last year — now the money will be donated if the winner doesn't come forward
- How the new Discovery Bank’s prices compare to Absa, Standard Bank, Nedbank, and FNB
- 'Stolen from City Lodge.' Hotel group ditches funny bathroom bottles after complaints
- Eskom will be selling Zimbabwe electricity again soon – just as long as South Africa has no load shedding
- Uber Eats is experimenting with its fees in Johannesburg, and you can now pay only R5 for food delivered to your door – or up to R35 for booze
- International excitement as a new dinosaur species is discovered in an old South African museum exhibit