Brazilian journalists are suing Bolsonaro for taking off his mask near them as he said he had Covid-19
- A consortium of Brazilian journalists are suing President Jair Bolsonaro after he removed his mask near them during a televised press conference on Tuesday.
- At that press conference, Bolsonaro had announced that he tested positive for the coronavirus earlier that day.
- Footage shows Bolsonaro stepping back from the reporters after speaking to them, removing his microphone, and taking off his mask to show his face.
- The Brazilian Press Association (ABI) said later on Tuesday that it will sue Bolsonaro in the Supreme Court for "endangering" journalists.
- "Despite knowing he was infected with Covid-19, President Jair Bolsonaro continues to act in a criminal manner and endanger the lives of others," the group said.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
An association of Brazilian journalists is suing President Jair Bolsonaro after he removed his mask near them while giving a statement on his coronavirus infection.
On Tuesday, Bolsonaro told journalists from TV Brasil, CNN, and TV Record that he had tested positive for Covid-19 and was taking the controversial treatment hydroxychloroquine.
A the end of the statement, Bolsonaro took a few steps back, took off his microphone, and took off his mask to wave and smile to the cameras.
You can see the footage here:
The Brazilian Press Association (ABI) said later on Tuesday that it will sue Bolsonaro in the Supreme Court for "endangering" journalists, the Latin American Herald Tribune reported, citing ABI president Paulo Jeronimo de Sousa.
"Despite knowing he was infected with Covid-19, President Jair Bolsonaro continues to act in a criminal manner and endanger the lives of others," de Sousa said.
De Sousa said Bolsonaro broke Article 131 and Article 132 of the penal code, which prohibit transmitting a disease to someone else and exposing others to danger respectively.
Bolsonaro also "broke the isolation recommended by the doctors," de Sousa said. Health authorities around the world have urged people who test positive for the coronavirus, or who experience coronavirus symptoms, to self-isolate for at least seven days.
The gesture is symbolic of Bolsonaro's reluctance to take the coronavirus seriously.
Meanwhile, Brazil is one of the worst-hit countries in the world.
As of Wednesday 1.7 million people have contracted the virus, and 68,000 have died, according to a tracker from the Globo news outlet.
The government has sought to reduce the amount of information about new cases available to the public, and is pressing ahead with an end to lockdown despite astronomically high numbers of daily new cases.
Receive a daily update on your cellphone with all our latest news: click here.
Get the best of our site emailed to you daily: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- Gold is rocketing - and there are many ways to invest. But some experts are not biting
- Cleaning company admits to Sassa price fixing, top businesswoman named
- A Cape Town drive-in concept sold hundreds of non-refundable tickets, but is still not open
- Some SA celebs will send you a personalised video for R150 - but Siya Kolisi, Kurt Darren are pricier
- You can now deposit cash directly into your bank account at any Pick n Pay till
- Curro schools couldn’t play sport during lockdown, so they began competitive Minecraft