The truck driver who sped through a crowd of protesters has been named, booked on suspicion of assault
- The truck driver who drove through a crowd of George Floyd protesters in Minneapolis on Sunday has been identified.
- Bogdan Vechirko, 35, is being held on suspicion of assault at the Hennepin County Jail.
- No protesters were hit by Vechirko's truck.
- Sources told the local news station Fox 9 that investigators believe Vechirko may not have been trying to hurt anybody.
- For more stories go to www.BusinessInsider.co.za.
The driver of a semi-truck that drove through a crowd of protesters demonstrating against the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis on Sunday has been identified.
Bogdan Vechirko, 35, is currently being held in the Hennepin County Jail on suspicion of assault.
It was just before 6 p.m. on Sunday, that Vechirko drove a tanker truck at a high rate of speed through protesters marching down I-35W, while honking his horn, according to local news station Fox 9.
The protesters were able to get out of his way and there were no reports of injuries.
When Vechirko's vehicle came to a stop, his cab was surrounded by protesters, according to KTSP, another local news channel. One group escorted the driver to police.
Pictures of the driver being arrested show blood on his face and chest, though it's unclear how he was injured. He was taken to the hospital for non-life-threatening injuries before being booked into jail.
The interstate had been shut down because of the protesters at the time Vechirko was on it.
Department of Public Safety Commissioner John Harrington said the driver did not go through any barriers before reaching the protests.
However, Department of Corrections Commissioner Paul Schnell later said that it appeared the driver was able to get around "diversions."
Sources told Fox 9 that he drove around workers as they set up barricades. The outlet said its sources believe he may not have meant any harm to the protesters.
Trucking company Ken Advantage said in a statement on Sunday that Vechirko is an independent contractor.
"Our first and foremost concern is for the safety and security of the public, our employees and our customers," the company said.
"We will be cooperating fully with the investigating authorities in the days ahead. It would be inappropriate to comment at this time until we have additional facts as the investigation is in its early stages. We will comment further once we have more information."
Receive a daily update on your cellphone with all our latest news: click here.
Get the best of our site emailed to you daily: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- The rules for companies going back to work are about to change – here’s how
- Hiking and game drives are legal on Monday – but only two national parks will be opening
- Airport buses are limited to 70% capacity as flights resume Monday – but planes can be full
- You can now check up on a R350 Sassa grant – and see if someone else has been paid
- Huawei’s new phones just launched in SA, and they can use 5G – but don’t come with Facebook