Black Panther just made box office history. Not bad for a movie shot in the Free State
- "Black Panther" earned another R20.2 million in South Africa over the weekend.
- In just three weeks, it has earned more than R72 million in SA.
- It easily beat the full-year takings for 2017's box office winner, Fate of the Furious.
- Black Panther has now earned more than $1 billion worldwide in just 26 days.
- Some of the movie's African scenes were shot at the Golden Gate Highlands National Park in the Free State.
"Black Panther" has earned another R20.2 million at South African box offices over the weekend, according to Box Office Mojo, a movie revenue platform owned by Amazon.
Its total weekend earnings since its premiere on February 16th now stand at $6.15 million (R72.9 million)
This easily beats the biggest-grossing movie of last year, Fate of The Furious, which earned $5.573 million last year. Black Panther has earned more than double the 2016 box office winner Finding Dory and it is on track to beat the highest-grossing film, Fast & Furious 7 (2015), which grossed R89.9 million
Disney’s megahit has now passed the $1 billion mark at the global box office. The movie pulled off the milestone in just 26 days.
"Black Panther" is the fifth Disney film in its Marvel universe to reach the $1 billions milestone. The others are “The Avengers,” ″Avengers: Age of Ultron,” ″Iron Man 3,” and “Captain America: Civil War.”
But it has done something no other Marvel movie has managed: Black Panther remained in first place at the US box office for four weekends in a row.
The movie opened in China at the weekend, earning more than $66 million. Its takings in South Korea, where it was partially filmed, have already topped $41 million.
As Business Insider South Africa previously reported, some of the African scenery in Black Panther was shot with a drone over the Golden Gate Highlands National Park in the Free State. The footage was digitally enhanced by Marvel.
- Turns out, Wakanda is a place near Bloemfontein. Black Panther’s South African footage was shot in the Free State
- South Africa’s top YouTube channels feature musicians, health fanatics, wildlife – and a guy who teaches you how to play MinecraftThese are the 10 suburbs in Johannesburg where property prices have increased by more than 50% in the past five years
- South Africa’s most exclusive mountain bike races
- We compared South Africa’s most popular takeout coffees — and the winner is clear
- Horse meat imports into SA have suddenly jumped – and we don’t know where most of it went
- If you loved 'Black Panther,' prepare to be disappointed by the rest of 2018's superhero movies
- The for-profit side of Blue Bulls rugby is sucking its amateur club dry
- Nhlanhla Nene personally stepped in to stop the ANC from debating Reserve Bank nationalisation in Parliament – to the party's considerable embarrassment
- This is what your smartphone is doing to your brain – and it isn't good
- Rolls-Royce revealed new bespoke designs for its iconic limo and convertible — and they look incredible
- Sun International fought tooth and nail to build a 'sure thing' mega-casino in Menlyn, Pretoria. Now it is losing money on the deal.
- South Africans will be able to shout at Steinhoff directors from Cape Town in April – but won’t be able to directly vote at its AGM