'Black Panther' is now the highest US grossing superhero movie of all-time — and it did it in just 36 days
- By Saturday night, "Black Panther" became the highest-grossing superhero movie of all-time at the US box office.
- It has surpassed previous record-holder, 2012's "The Avengers" ($623.2 million).
By Saturday night, "Black Panther" was the highest-grossing superhero movie of all-time at the US box office, with an estimated total of over R7.4 billion ($630.5 million) by the time the weekend's over. It surpasses the previous title holder, 2012's "The Avenger" (R7.3 billion ($623.2 million))
The incredible feat by the movie is even more astounding by the fact that it was done in only 36 days.
In its first five weekends in South Africa, Black Panther earned almost R100 million, according to Box Office Mojo. Tickets worth almost $100 million have been sold in China, followed by $60 million in the UK and $43 million in South Korea.
The Disney/Marvel box-office sensation will likely finally lose its number one spot at the US box office to newcomer "Pacific Rim: Uprising."As Business Insider South Africa previously reported, some of the African scenery in Black Panther was shot with a drone over the Golden Gate Highlands National Park in the Free State. The footage was digitally enhanced by Marvel.
- There’s a new Aromat on shelves minus all that tasty MSG – but with a catch
- China's space station is about to fall from the sky — and no one is sure where it will land
- Elon Musk’s dad has had a baby with his stepdaughter, who is 42 years younger than him - report
- SA's most popular drone is way ahead of its competitors. Here are the 5 reasons why
- South African knights – in full shiny armour – are fighting it out over weekends
- SA just dodged a R167 billion bullet – here’s what it means for you
- These are some of South Africa's most brazen medical aid scams and schemes
- These online courses (from as little as R140) can land you a hot job in tech
- Le Creuset, which is owned by a South African, has apologised for angering its black fans
- The closest thing you can find to Wakanda in the real world is Wits, according to the world's biggest news agency
- We tried KFC's new 'mojito' - and one ingredient was a bit overpowering
- 34 years of hard slog, and then 2 big promotions in 6 days: what we know about new acting Sars boss Mark Kingon
- Amazon is selling fake Basotho blankets in the middle of the Black Panther craze – and they are really ugly
- Cyril Ramaphosa is backing the Afro – but a single African currency may only work if it is pegged to the rand, says an economist
- A medium at Woolworths? You’re actually a XXL at Mr Price. Why SA’s clothing sizes are crazy
- We compared the price of contracts that come with an iPhone X – and the winner is R1,200 a year cheaper than the rest
- These are the 5 most expensive South African wines you can buy right now – if you are willing to spend up to R5,000 per bottle
- 'World's most comfortable shoe' now made from South African invasive trees
- South Africa’s top barista showed us how to brew the perfect cup of coffee
- Use this secret weapon to improve your meetings, suggest SA academics
- An exec who invests Mark Shuttleworth’s money keeps every rejection letter he has ever received – here’s why