We compared fuel rewards programmes – and one saves you up to R7 per litre of petrol
Despite South African petrol price dropping to R13.79 per litre – 0.97c cheaper than what it was a year ago – South Africans still face an uphill financial outlook with a lagging economy.
Most South Africans spend 20% and more on transportation costs each month, StatsSA estimated in 2017.
Business Insider South Africa compared the fuel rewards programmes available in SA to determine where and how to save the most on petrol.
We found that Discovery Insure offered the highest saving at a possible 50% back per litre – R6.89 at current fuel price levels – but consumers need to have their vehicles insured through Discovery first.
Click and Pick n Pay both gave 10c savings per litre for those with membership cards. It is free to become a member at each one of these retailers loyalty schemes. Pick n Pay has a 20c per litre savings promotion until the end of March.
Possible savings were calculated according to the January South African petrol price of R13.79.
This article has been updated to include fuel rewards from Dischem pharmacies.
Receive a single WhatsApp every morning with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- Woolworths staff have been banned from handling your bank card – here's why
- These are the top 10 academic schools in South Africa right now - with fees starting from R30,000 a year
- FNB clients can save up to R1,500 by getting a 2-for-1 food and entertainment app for free. Here’s how.
- What to do if you find out your coworker makes way more than you
- This airline told its cabin crew that they have six months to lose almost 14kg