8 great coffee shops to work from in Cape Town – ranked by how fast the free wifi is
- We tested the speed of the free wifi at our favourite Cape Town CBD coffee shops.
- Breakaway Café was the ultimate winner with a significant lead.
The ideal coffee shop to work from needs good coffee, decent ambience, plentiful electricity outlets available – and really fast internet access.
So we set out to test the access speeds at some of our favourite working spots.
Here they are, ranked by internet speed as determined through a standard Speedtest.net check:
1. Breakaway Cafe, 50 Waterkant Street.
Download: 15.22Mbps | Upload: 14.3Mbps
Situated in an almost 100-year old building, this coffee shop’s central location and eclectic, bicycle-inspired décor are reason enough to pay it a visit – aside from its lightning-fast free wifi.
2. Rcaffe, 138 Long Street.
Download: 7.17Mbps | Upload: 1.05Mbps.
This trendy coffee shop is ideal for the early bird; it opens at 6am on weekdays. Uncapped wifi and great prices keep customers coming, the beautiful décor is an added bonus.
3. Brownies & Downies, 2 Long Street.
Download: 6.52Mbps | Upload: 0.75Mbps.
Good things happen over coffee at this unique store. Along with great food and one hour free wifi, this coffee shop if primarily a training centre for those with intellectual disabilities, with the intent of cultivating an ethos of acceptance in South African society.
4. Motherland Coffee Company, Mandela Rhodes Place, corner Wale and St Georges.
Download: 2.70Mbps | Upload: 1.86Mbps.
This classy Cape Town coffee shop is the perfect place for a productive morning. Ample space and plug points will keep you working happily all morning.
5. Bean There Coffee Company, 58 Wale Street.
Download: 2.54Mbps | Upload: 1.95Mbps.
Ethically-sourced African coffee beans are roasted on site. It also has mindful owners, friendly staff and quick-enough wifi.
6. Ground Art Caffe, 160 Strand Street.
Download: 2.66Mbps | Upload: 1.22Mbps.
This mini art gallery will have you enchanted by its stunning décor and artisan coffee.
7. Truth Cafe, 36 Buitenkant Street.
Download: 0.96Mbps | Upload: 1.03Mbps.
This steam-punk inspired coffee shop caters to the early commuters and has one hour of uncapped wifi for patrons. Though slightly more expensive than its peers, for waiters in top hats and coffee this good, it is worth the extra expense.
8. Arnold’s, 60 Kloof Street.
Download: 0.96Mbps | Upload: 0.58Mbps.
This spacious shop is a good place to work or catch a game of soccer, the friendly staff and extensive menu of interesting foods and drinks have you covered.
Receive a single email every morning with all our latest news: Sign up here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- We tested 5 alternatives to plastic straws and found a clear winner – with one important caveat
- Elon Musk is reportedly sleeping under his desk and camping out at the office for days at a time as Tesla faces pressure to make 5,000 Model 3s per week
- It’s obvious KFC’s '4 hot Zinger wings' are actually just two wings, advertising authority rules
- Tickets for Ed Sheeran's sold-out Cape concert are now on sale for R7,000 - but you may be kicked out the stadium
- Nescafé Gold coffee has changed its recipe – and it now tastes completely different