A US bartender won R750,000 after a customer left her a lottery ticket as a tip
- American bartender Taylor Russey, won $50,000 – the equivalent of R750,000 – in a US Powerball lottery drawing on October 19.
- A regular customer left her the ticket as a tip the night before.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
An American bartender is R750,000 richer after a customer tipped her with a US Powerball ticket that later turned out to be a winner.
Taylor Russey, 33, told the Missouri Lottery that a regular gave her a Powerbal ticket on October 18, and that it won $50,000, the equivalent of R750,000 in the subsequent night's drawing.
"One of the regulars will buy the rest of the regulars in the bar Lottery tickets every now and then, especially when it's high," Russey said. "And he did that on Saturday - he bought all of us Lottery tickets."
She says she found out about the win the next day, when the bar's lottery terminal notified staff that a winning ticket had been sold at their location. She scanned her ticket, and was told to come in to the lottery office to claim her prize.
Russey told Insider on Thursday that the customer who tipped her the ticket was the first person she called when she learned she had won.
"He was very happy for me ... said that's awesome and he's sure I could use it right now," Russey said.
She described him as a "super cool guy" who is "down to earth" and "just wants to see people happy and thriving."
"He's awesome and I'm grateful to have him in my life," she said.
Russey said she doesn't have any plans to spend the money on anything fun right now. She said she wants to get some dental work done, pay off some debt, and invest the rest.
In an interview with the New York Post on Wednesday, Russey said she has no plans to quit her job.
"No, I'm not that kind of person," Russey told the Post. "And this is not going to sustain me for the rest of my life. I still have to work."
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- ‘Cheaper’ homes in South Africa are hot right now – in some cases even selling for above the asking price
- Boris Johnson is taking a huge election gamble which could trigger the end for Brexit
- Boris Johnson is close to agreeing a December general election with opposition parties
- A heartbreaking photo of a dog riding a bus alone went viral, and now people want to adopt her
- Pick n Pay is starting ‘Black Friday’ deals on Monday already – and is increasing staff to keep up with expected demand
- 8 ‘haunted’ South African buildings even paranormal investigators find eerie, including an abandoned hospital where children haunt the neighbours