Lionel Messi's departure from Barcelona is set to trigger a mass exodus of players. Here's where those leaving could end up next season.
- FC Barcelona is set for a mass exodus of some of its biggest ever stars this summer.
- Lionel Messi has handed in a transfer request, while Luis Suarez, Jordi Alba, and Gerard Pique have all been told they are surplus to requirements.
- Here is where those who are set to leave the Camp Nou could end up next season.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
FC Barcelona is set for a mass exodus of some of its biggest ever stars this summer, including Lionel Messi.
Following the club's 8-2 defeat the Bayern Munich in the Champions League quarterfinals, club president Josep Maria Bartomeu named only eight players who he intended to keep at the Camp Nou next term: Messi, Marc Andre ter Stegen, Clement Lenglet, Nelson Semedo, Frenkie De Jong, Antoine Griezmann, Ousmane Dembele, and Ansu Fati.
Shortly after Bartomeu's announcement, the club appointed Ronald Koeman as its new manager, who, within a matter of days, reaffirmed that the club was ready to wave goodbye to its old guard to make way for a new generation of players.
Both Bartomeu and Koeman excluded Messi from their planned cull, however the Argentine then took matters into his own hands, handing in a transfer request on Tuesday.
Below, Insider has taken a look at where those will been told (or in Messi's case, chosen) to leave Catalonia could end up next season.
Barcelona appearances: 731
Teams interested: Manchester City, Paris Saint Germain
Messi announced his intention to leave Barcelona earlier this week by handing in a transfer request.
Details as to how much, if anything, he would cost prospective new clubs are currently up in the air, with player and club currently disagreeing on whether or not a clause in his contract allows him to walk free. If not, his buyout clause stands at $825 million.
Manchester City is understood to be leading the chase for his signature, with the Argentine having rang Pep Guardiola, his former boss, to inform him of his decision to leave Barcelona before he even told the club. Sneaky.
Paris Saint Germain are also said to be interested, with star player Neymar reportedly begging the club's bosses to try and sign Messi.
Barcelona appearances: 283
Teams interested: Ajax, Inter Miami, Juventus
Barcelona's new coach Ronald Koeman told Suarez he is no longer needed at the club by way of a short and brutal phone call, according to The Independent.
The Uruguayan, however, still has plenty to offer to whichever club he goes to, proven by his respectable 21 goal tally last season.
The Independent also reports that MLS side Inter Miami has already begun talks with the 33-year-old over a potential move, while El Chiringuito reports Ajax are prepared to pay $18 million to bring him back to the club he scored 111 goals for between 2007 and 2011.
Juventus is also understood to be interested, according to Goal.
Barcelona appearances: 515
Teams interested: Fulham, Inter Miami
Pique practically signed his own P45 after Barcelona's 8-2 defeat to Bayern Munich when he said afterwards, according to Sky Sports: "I'll be the first to leave if needs be."
Fulham, newly promoted to the English Premier League, has since emerged as an unlikely suitor, with Peruvian news outlet Libero reporting that the club has already gone as far to table an offer for the Spaniard.
Fulham chief Tony Khan has labelled the reports as "rubbish" — in which case ESPN believe he could be on his way to the MLS with Inter Miami.
Barcelona appearances: 336
Teams interested: Inter Milan
One of Barcelona's top summer targets is Inter Milan striker Lautaro Martinez, scored 21 times for Antonio Conte's team last season.
And according to Tuttosport, as per Sempreinter, the Catalan club is ready to offer Inter $77 million, plus the services of Jordi Alba, for the Argentine's signature.
Inter is in the market for a new left back, but don't want to spend big, according to Italian journalist Fabrizio Romano, making Alba a logical choice ahead of its other proposed targets such as Chelsea's Emerson Palmieri, who is valued at $30 million.
Barcelona appearances: 116
Teams interested: Everton, AS Roma, Napoli, Leicester, Arsenal
Samuel Umtiti's Barcelona career has been ravaged by injury, but it's easy to see why so many teams are still interested on taking a gamble on the Frenchman now he's been told it's all over.
A World Cup winner with France and still a regular in the national team set up, Umtiti, when fit, is a brave, powerful, and tactically competent defender. He is also an excellent distributor of the ball – a quality that is very attractive to modern ball-playing teams.
AS Roma is one of the main contenders for his signature, reports Diario Sport, with the Italian's seeing him as a direct replacement for Chris Smalling, who is expected to return to Manchester United.
Barcelona appearances: 310
Teams interested: Tottenham Hotspur, Arsenal, Sevilla
Even before Barcelona's defeat to Bayern, it was clear Ivan Rakitic's time at the club was coming to an end, with the Croatian midfielder having made just 16 starts all season.
Diario Sport reports Sevilla has opened talks about a potential return to the Ramon Sanchez-Pizjuan Stadium. Rakitic left Seville to join Barcelona in 2014.
North London duo Arsenal and Tottenham are also understood to be keen on the 32-year-old, who is valued at $12 million.
The former's manager, Mikel Arteta, is said to have already called the player in order to try and convince him to move to The Emirates, says Le10Sport.
Barcelona appearances: 96
Teams interested: Inter Milan
Despite being a key player for Barcelona over the last two seasons, Vidal still hasn't done enough to earn a place in Ronald Koeman's new look side, according to The Guardian.
Gazzetta dello Sport, as per Sempreinter, says Vidal's agent, Fernando Felicevich, is working on an "Alexis Sanchez" type deal that will take him to Inter Milan.
Sanchez is also managed by Felicevich, and was offered a three-year contract with an annual wage of $8 million. Vidal will reportedly be offered an initial two-year deal with an option of a third, and will earn $7 million each year.
Receive a daily update on your cellphone with all our latest news: click here.
Get the best of our site emailed to you daily: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- The rand rocketed almost 3% in a single day – it could mean petrol price cuts next week
- The R350 coronavirus grant system has a pile of unanswered emails 300,000 deep – on top of 40,000 calls per day
- If you applied for a passport before lockdown you may now be able to collect it at some banks
- A state company wants to buy autonomous drones to patrol SA’s borders and shout at people
- SA's biggest house is for sale - take a look inside the opulent 'Vaal Castle'
- You can ask Facebook for R24,000 in cash for your SA business – as long as you aren’t corrupt