Apple just unveiled its latest high-end smart watch, with advanced health-tracking features
- Apple has unveiled its latest high-end smartwatch, the Apple Watch Series 6.
- The new watch comes with a new health sensor that measures blood oxygen levels, and comes in four colours: blue, red, gold, and graphite.
- Unlike previous years, Apple is also offering a less-expensive watch, the Apple Watch SE.
- Visit Business Insider SA's homepage for more stories.
Apple has unveiled its latest high-end smartwatch: the Apple Watch Series 6.
The new watch, which Apple showed off at its annual hardware event on Tuesday, marked a departure from Apple's typical lineup. Rather than simply offering one watch and discounting older models, Apple debuted two watches: one premium version, the Series 6, and one lower-cost version, the Apple Watch SE.
The higher-end Series 6 has several new features to differentiate it from its predecessor, the Series 5, including a new chip that Apple says will make the watch 20% faster than the previous generation, and most notably, a new health sensor that measures blood oxygen levels.
The sensor works by shining infrared light onto the user's wrist, then measuring the amount of light that's reflected back. It takes about 15 seconds to measure blood oxygen levels, and measurements can be recorded while the wearer sleeps.
The Series 6 will also be able to track elevation changes in real time, will have an always-on display that's easy to see on sunny days, and will come with multiple new watch faces.
The new watch will come in four colours — blue, red, gold, and graphite — and Apple created two new types of bands: a Solo Loop that's one continuous piece of stretchable material, and a braided Solo Loop that's made from recycled yarn.
To make the watch more accessible to families, Apple is offering a new feature called family setup, which allows users to pair multiple watches to one iPhone, but creates individual accounts for each user. The feature is available for cellular models of the Apple Watch Series 4 or newer.
Unlike past models, Apple will not include a power adapter in the box to cut down on waste.
Receive a daily update on your cellphone with all our latest news: click here.
Get the best of our site emailed to you daily: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- New tenants may get their first month free - as 20% of Sandton, Soweto rental homes stand empty
- Netflix has a new cellphone-only subscription option in South Africa
- You can now apply for child support, older persons and foster child grants online
- FNB and Standard Bank clients were also charged twice after Nedbank glitch
- As attacks on ambulance crews continue, the Western Cape plans live streaming body cams