The new Apple Watch, with an always-on display, will officially be available in South Africa in 7 days – here’s what it will cost
- The new Apple Watch Series 5 will start at R7,999 in South Africa, and be available from September 27.
- The new Apple Watch features an always-on display, compass app, and international emergency calling.
- Pre-orders in SA start today.
- For more stories, go to the Business Insider SA homepage.
Preorders for the Apple Watch Series 5, announced by Apple on September 10, will open in South Africa on Friday, iStore South Africa said.
The retailer said deliveries will start in South Africa from September 27.
The new Apple Watch Series 5 with an always-on display will cost R7,999 for the 40mm version, and R8,999 for the 44mm version.
Also read: We just found out what the iPhone 11 will cost in South Africa – and it is R1,000 cheaper than the iPhone XR
The 40mm pricing is exactly the same as the Apple Watch Series 4 a year ago, while the 44mm version costs R399 more.
The price of the Series 3 has been dropped to R3,999, while the series 4 will no longer be available locally.
iStore said customers can exchange their current Apple Watch at the retailer for credit towards the new model.
Apple said it managed to keep the watch's 18-hour battery life even with the new always-on display through a power-efficient "LTPO" display that can vary its refresh rate from 1Hz to 60Hz.
The new Apple Watch Series 5 also has better sensors and power management, a compass app, and international emergency calling.
Receive a daily email with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- SA developers are using a deep-learning engine to figure out who will win in the Rugby World Cup – and their robot thinks the All Blacks will thrash the Springboks
- A Parys company is selling a 'cure' for the pest that is killing Joburg’s urban forest – while government investigates its ‘false’ claims
- ‘Fraud is a cancer that is crippling our country’: Supreme Court of Appeal upholds 20-year jail sentence for ‘remorseful’ R5 million fraudster
- Ramaphosa wants to clamp down on fake goods – here's why that may be nearly impossible
- We just found out what the iPhone 11 will cost in South Africa – and it is R1,000 cheaper than the iPhone XR