Apple sold nearly 60 million AirPods in 2019, analysts estimate
- iApple sold nearly 60 million of its Airpods wireless earphones in 2019, according to a new report.
- Analyst house Strategy Analytics found Apple dominates the wireless earphones space, boasting more than 50% market share in terms of both sales and revenue. Samsung and Xiaomi lag behind, despite offering cheaper products.
- Some analysts estimate that Apple could ship up to 90 million AirPods in 2020. The product is expected to take on increasing importance for Apple as iPhone sales decline.
- For more stories go to www.BusinessInsider.co.za.
Apple AirPods are dominating the wireless earphones market.
According to a report by Strategy Analytics, Apple sold nearly 60 million AirPods in 2019, putting it far ahead of any competitor.
Strategy Analytics found that Apple holds more than half of all market share for wireless earphone sales.
Its two closest rivals, Samsung and Xiaomi, each hold less than 10% market share. As the analyst house notes, this isn't wildly surprising since Apple kickstarted the category when the AirPods first launched in 2016.
Thanks to the AirPods' premium pricing, Apple not only dominated market share but also command of revenue for all wireless headphone sales. The firm has devoured 71% of all wireless earphone revenue - hardly a surprise given AirPods start at R2,600, and the higher end AirPods Pro start at R4,000.
The report will be heartening for Apple as it looks to lessen its reliance on iPhone sales.
Although Apple CEO Tim Cook has remained bullish about the smartphone industry's long-term prospects - he steadfastly denied the industry had peaked in an interview with Nikkei Asian Review last month - it's clear that the iPhone isn't the force of nature it once was.
In Apple's earnings report for its fiscal 2019 fourth quarter, which ended on September 28, the firm said iPhone sales generated $33.36 billion in revenue, a decline of roughly 9% from the $36.76 billion revenue generated from iPhone sales during its fiscal fourth quarter for 2018.
In contrast, prominent Apple analyst Daniel Ives has predicted AirPods sales will continue to surge, potentially growing by over 50% to hit the 90 million mark.
Receive a daily update on your cellphone with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- The AA now offers armed response, which will come help you in the mall, in your car or home – from R25 a month
- Updated: South Africa struggling with slow internet after two undersea cables failed - here's who is affected
- The rand is now the world's cheapest major currency — undervalued by 62%
- SAA has put billions of rands worth of planes up for sale – including planes it uses on major international routes
- TAKE A LOOK: These pictures show how SAA evolved over the past 86 years
- You can save thousands by making the new rate cut work harder for you - here's how