Apple just launched new MacBook Pro laptops — and they have an updated keyboard
- Apple launched new MacBook Pro laptops on Thursday.
- The 13-inch model with Touch Bar and the 15-inch model with Touch Bar have new processors and a few other updates.
- They're not cheap though — the 13-inch starts at $1799 (R24,000), and the least powerful 15-inch model will cost $2399 (R32,000).
- The thin-and-light MacBook and the MacBook Air didn't get updates.
Apple launched new MacBook Pro laptops on Thursday with updated processors, displays, and a "quieter" keyboard.
There are several new configurations for both the 13-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar and the 15-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar model. They have updated components, but the computer design is unchanged.
- The starting price for the 13-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar is $1799 (R24,000), the same as before. It now can be configured with quad-core Intel chips.
- The entry price for the 15-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar is $2399 (R32,000), also unchanged, which comes with a 6-core Intel processor.
Here's how Apple summarizes the specs:
Apple says its battery life estimates are unchanged. The new computers are available today to order through Apple. Stores will get them later this week.
One big update is that Apple has a "third-generation keyboard" that Apple says is capable of quieter typing. That's one complaint with the current MacBook Pro keyboards. The other main complaint, which has spurred class action lawsuits, is that it's fragile and can feel "sticky."
Apple also updated its embedded ARM chip that controls the Touch Bar, Touch ID, and Siri. The new chip, T2, which is also installed in the iMac Pro, is capable of activating Siri, a voice assistant, by saying "Hey Siri."
Apple also updated the laptop displays with "True Tone," which the company says will deliver more natural color.
The entry-level 13-inch MacBook Pro without the Touch Bar didn't get an update, and neither did the thin-and-light MacBook nor the more inexpensive MacBook Air.
Here are the pictures Apple provided for the new laptops:
Apple also launched new leather sleeves for MacBook Pro laptops.
Receive a single email every morning with all our latest news: Sign up here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- This SA farm made a name in organic wines – now it is going vegan
- Ties are 'socially desirable strangulation', scientists say – and you probably shouldn't wear one
- Watch: Why penalty kicks are so unfair to the goalie – according to an economist
- We checked the shelves to see if ‘pink tax’ exists, and found women pay much more than men for the same thing