Business Insider Edition

Apple is reportedly investigating after an 11-year-old girl says an iPhone 6 exploded in her hands

Mary Hanbury , Business Insider US
 Jul 15, 2019, 02:50 PM
Kayla Ramos' iPhone.
ABC News 7
  • An 11-year-old girl claims an iPhone 6 exploded in her hands while she was using it.
  • Apple is reportedly investigating the explosion.
  • A spokesperson told ABC News that explosions can be caused if customers use unauthorised Apple products with their devices, such as charging cables.
  • For more stories, see

An 11-year-old girl has claimed that an iPhone exploded in her hands.

Kayla Ramos was playing on her iPhone 6 in her sister's bedroom in Bakersfield, California, when she noticed sparks coming off the device.

"I was sitting down, and I had my phone in my hand and then I saw sparks flying everywhere and I just threw it on a blanket," Ramos told ABC News in California.

Ramos said that while she had a minor burn from the explosion, she was not badly hurt. However, the iPhone burned through the blanket.

ABC News

A spokesperson for Apple did not immediately respond to Business Insider's request for comment.

Ramos' mother, Maria Adata, said Apple is investigating and has promised to send her a new phone. She told ABC News that the explosion could have been caused by overcharging the device.

In a statement to ABC News, Apple said there are several factors that can cause an iPhone to overheat. These include using third-party Apple products, such as charging cables, or having repairs done through a company not authorised by Apple.

Samsung was previously forced to issue a global recall of its Galaxy Note 7 smartphone after people reported that the device was exploding. The recall cost Samsung $5 billion (R69 billion) in losses and lost sales.

Receive a single WhatsApp every morning with all our latest news: click here.

Also from Business Insider South Africa:

  • Indicators
  • JSE Indexes

Get the best of our site delivered to your inbox every day.

Sign Up