On Wednesday the United Nations named South Africa the world's 105th happiest country.
The report is based on polls conducted by Gallup between 2015 and 2017.
These eight countries elsewhere on the continent all came in happier – sometimes a lot happier, than South Africa.
Receive a single WhatsApp message every morning with all our latest news: Sign up here
- The Free State could be producing 5% of the world’s helium soon – and that could change much more than just the party-balloon market
- What Stephen Hawking thought about boy bands, black holes and aliens
- Spotify is now in South Africa – 3 reasons why Apple Music is still better
- Civil servants' pee will be used to water a new green feature in Cape Town
- With this new dating app, you pick a match by listening to their voice, not viewing their picture — here's how it works
- Most vitamins are useless, but here are the ones you should take
- 15 things you're doing that make people dislike you immediately
- The 7 biggest questions we had after watching 'Black Panther', and hope are answered in the seque
- A mysterious property company just paid R150 million for a very unassuming building in Cape Town
- An OUTsurance founder just landed a R350 million payday – but he's not shopping for private islands just quite yet
- Want to save VBS? It's really easy, actually
- Google cofounder Larry Page has been secretly testing flying taxis in New Zealand
- Opel will build thousands of cars in Namibia – barely a year after leaving South Africa
- Woolworths confirms its beloved salami sticks were made in the Listeriosis-implicated factory
- Nescafé, Ricoffy and Frisco are at war – which means cheaper prices for instant coffee drinker