1. Africa is on track to get the world’s largest free trade zone. SA could be one of the biggest beneficiaries of the deal.
2. Africa could also get a single currency, if our President gets his way.Not the best idea, says one economist, who has researched the impact of the so-called Afro.
3. EFF leader Julius Malema decried the one percentage point increase in VAT coming up – and said corporate taxes should be increased instead. The DA is also campaigning to roll back the VAT increase, but says government expenditure should be cut.
4. 16 out of 18 economists polled by Reuters now believe South Africa will avoid a downgrade by Moody's tomorrow. Both share prices and the rand suggest they are not alone in that belief.
5. As a storm rages over revelations that Cambridge Analytica has collected the personal information of tens of millions of Facebook users without their knowledge - and the #DeleteFacebook campaign picks up speed - Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg finally spoke out. In a Facebook post, he accepted responsibility for protecting users' data. Facebook still tracks a scary number of details about you — here's how to find out everything it knows.
One update on the race for nuclear submarines
Like many other countries around the world, the Chinese is rushing to expand its navy, and its submarines are now make routine patrols into the Indian Ocean.