5 things you need to know in SA business today and 3 reasons why well-done meat is bad for you
1. Wall Street has staged a massive comeback overnight after days of losses. The Dow Jones industrial average scored its third-largest single day point gain — as investors' fears of a trade-war between the US and China appeared to subside.
2. The engineering company Murray & Roberts saw its share price explode by 45% to R14.03 after the German Aton conglomerate made an offer directly to its shareholders. Aton is owned by the billionaire Lutz Helmig.
3. There has been a sharp increase in fraud attempts against life insurance companies, to the tune of more than R1 billion in 2016. Cases of fraud and misrepresentation jumped 228% – even though the value of detected scams increased by only 19%, new figures show.
4. The implementation of the new national minimum wage will miss the symbolic deadline of Workers’ Day, and may now only be launched months later.
5. The government took a more cautious stance on the African Continent Free Trade Area, which it has not yet signed, yesterday. Lawyers are now reviewing the 250-page document, says Trade and Industry Minister Rob Davies.
Why rare meat is better for you
New research shows that people who preferred meat well-done has a higher chance of developing high blood pressure and hypertension. Also, charring meat is associated with an increased cancer risk.
- The latest figures show a fivefold increase in the number of South Africans trying to scam funeral insurers
- A tattoo can cost up to R42,000. Here's how to make sure you don't regret it later.
- German billionaire to own half of Gautrain operator as Murray & Roberts receives takeover bid
- This successful SA CEO does regular dance routines with his staff. Here's how it helps his business
- In 2017 medical aids lost at least R300 million to fraud. Medical professionals who overcharged paid 0.05% of that in fines – and kept working
- There’s a new Aromat on shelves minus all that tasty MSG – but with a catch
- China's space station is about to fall from the sky — and no one is sure where it will land
- Elon Musk’s dad has had a baby with his stepdaughter, who is 42 years younger than him - report
- SA's most popular drone is way ahead of its competitors. Here are the 5 reasons why
- South African knights – in full shiny armour – are fighting it out over weekends
- SA just dodged a R167 billion bullet – here’s what it means for you
- These are some of South Africa's most brazen medical aid scams and schemes
- These online courses (from as little as R140) can land you a hot job in tech
- Le Creuset, which is owned by a South African, has apologised for angering its black fans
- The closest thing you can find to Wakanda in the real world is Wits, according to the world's biggest news agency
- We tried KFC's new 'mojito' - and one ingredient was a bit overpowering
- 34 years of hard slog, and then 2 big promotions in 6 days: what we know about new acting Sars boss Mark Kingon
- Amazon is selling fake Basotho blankets in the middle of the Black Panther craze – and they are really ugly
- Cyril Ramaphosa is backing the Afro – but a single African currency may only work if it is pegged to the rand, says an economist
- A medium at Woolworths? You’re actually a XXL at Mr Price. Why SA’s clothing sizes are crazy