Watch: 10 of world's most interesting cultural rituals - including jumping over babies and a Japanese penis festival
The world has some interesting cultural rituals.
They range from the El Colacho festival in Spain, where men dressed as the devil jump over babies on the street to absolve the babies of sin, to incredible act of Sokushibutsu, a strenuous task of self-mummification practised among Buddhist monks who only eat seeds and pine needles for 1,000 days.
And if you are feeling daring, you can participate in the Kanamara Matsuri, the Japanese "penis festival" which features phallic shaped snacks, images, shrines and parades.
Receive a single WhatsApp every morning with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- Comair loses its patience with SAA, moves maintenance overseas
- This South African super-strong brick is made from human urine - a world first
- Here's how the mini-Budget will impact you
- Trump continues to take calls from his iPhone despite warnings that China and Russia could be listening
- Kate Middleton wore a mermaid gown with one of Princess Diana's tiaras and she looks like a real-life Cinderella
- Apple is reportedly planning to fix the 'beautygate' effect, which automatically smoothes out selfies on the new iPhones